MsDayna

SMTP as Client needs more settings.

Post by MsDayna »

like incoming server, incoming server encryption, login/password

outgoing server needs authentication
1) log into incoming server first
2) use different from incoming separate username/password
3) No authentication.

it would also be nice if madExcept could upload to a particular folder on an ftp site.
servername, port, username, password, folder to upload into option if name collision like append or prepend date (yyyy-mm-dd-hh-mm-ss-zzz) and retry up to 2 times after pausing 2 seconds

Please implement soon as 1) our cloud has locked down smtp to prevent spam and 2) smtp as client needs more validation options.

Thanks,
Dayna.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: SMTP as Client needs more settings.

Post by madshi »

Logging into incoming server would be possible (would it be POP3 then?), but extra works, extra code, and would blow up the madExcept footprint for every user. Please allow me to be honest: So far you're the only (first?) madExcept user who has asked for this feature yet. So I'm not sure if I should blow up the madExcept footprint for everyone, if only one user needs this. What do you think?

BTW, you can always replace madExcept's bug report sending code with your own, simply by using RegisterExceptActionHandler(). You can then use any 3rd party email library/component. Maybe that would be the best approach? It would at least be the fastest solution for you, because I won't have time to implement this for at least 3-4 weeks. I'm currently busy working on the next major madCodeHook version upgrade.
MsDayna

Post by MsDayna »

madshi wrote:Logging into incoming server would be possible (would it be POP3 then?), but extra works, extra code, and would blow up the madExcept footprint for every user. Please allow me to be honest: So far you're the only (first?) madExcept user who has asked for this feature yet. So I'm not sure if I should blow up the madExcept footprint for everyone, if only one user needs this. What do you think?

BTW, you can always replace madExcept's bug report sending code with your own, simply by using RegisterExceptActionHandler(). You can then use any 3rd party email library/component. Maybe that would be the best approach? It would at least be the fastest solution for you, because I won't have time to implement this for at least 3-4 weeks. I'm currently busy working on the next major madCodeHook version upgrade.
In a world wide environment that has more and more spam controls. A lot of ISPs are changing their emails ot add security. Things like secure smtp transfer would probably work if I could set the port #.

If there were a way to modify the sending code manually... I'd be happy to do it. Can you save me time and point me to where I can modify the email sending in my code?

One thing I've notice about software users these days specially those who are runing software they paid >5000 for they say things to our spport department... Oh that always crashes so we do this... only we didn't know they were crashing because their ISP blocks port 25 and there is no option to use the SSL in the out of the box setups. (that I can find).

Dayna.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'm confused. Port, TLS, SSL, it's all there in the settings dialog. See here:

http://help.madshi.net/madExceptSettings5b.htm

And here's the information about how to configure all this at runtime:

http://help.madshi.net/MESettings.htm#I ... SmtpServer

Example:

Code: Select all

uses ..., madExcept;