Resource leak issue with madExcept on 64bit

delphi package - automated exception handling
Kaarigar

Resource leak issue with madExcept on 64bit

Post by Kaarigar »

I am using the madExcept downloaded yesterday with a 64 bit console application that I am developing using Delphi XE7. What I notice is that it fails to report any resource leaks. But the same code compiled as 32bit does report valid resource leaks. What could be the reason - I couldn't find any special settings for 64bit. Am I doing something wrong or missing something? Thanks!
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Resource leak issue with madExcept on 64bit

Post by madshi »

Unfortunately madExcept 4 only supports resource leak reporting (and the "instantly crash" feature) for x86 projects. Support for these features for x64 might come with madExcept 5, whenever that might come (not soon).
Kaarigar

Post by Kaarigar »

Thanks for the response. Can it be safely assumed that if there is no leak in the 32bit version, there might not be in 64bit version? (I know this is not the right forum to ask such question but I was trying to determine if I can get away with testing leaks on a 32bit for testing 64bit app for leaks).
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Yes, I would assume if you don't have vastly differing code paths for x64 and x86, then doing leak checking in x86 should also cover x64. Of course there's a chance that e.g. some x64 specific RTL/VCL leaks might be missed. Or maybe timing is different in x64 which could result in events being fired in a different order. This way some new/different leaks could occur. But the really "big" leaks are usually simpler than that, and testing for those in x86 should find them.
Kaarigar

Post by Kaarigar »

Thanks, Madshi. This is a console application that I am developing and there are no differing code path except calling some functions from external DLLs, either 32bit or 64bit, depending upon the target platform. So it seems I am fine! Thank you.