MadExcept 3 does not install into XE5 IDE

delphi package - automated exception handling
0scar

MadExcept 3 does not install into XE5 IDE

Post by 0scar »

I am a registered MadExcept 3 user and in the process of ordering an upgrade to 4.

On my new laptop MadExcept got installed by the ICT department prior to installing Delphi XE5. After XE5 install I removed the MadEcept installation and installed myself as administrator user. Still I cannot see the Madshi options appear in the IDE.

I have checked the register, no disabled packages found other than some office packages.

How do I get MadExcept back into the IDE? A second un-install - install did not work either.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: MadExcept 3 does not install into XE5 IDE

Post by madshi »

Please uninstall, then search the registry for mad*.*. Probably madExcept is registered in the XE5 "disabled packages" registry key. As a result XE5 will never load it again. Remove everything related to madCollection in the registry. After that reinstalling should work fine.
0scar

Post by 0scar »

The suggestions do not work.

I de-installed and removed everthing with mad* from registry. After re-install, the product still does not show up in the IDE.

Mad* was not in the disabled packages list, it only lists dclOffice*bpls

Pretty hard product to install...
Last edited by 0scar on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

FWIW, there's no other madExcept user who has reported a similar problem. So there must be something "special" about your PC/installation.

Is this a "commercial" XE5 edition? I think some XE versions were available as "freeware" editions for personal use. Those usually don't support 3rd party components (at least not the precompiled DCUs). Could that be the problem? If not, we'll have to do some digging:

1) In the madExcept installation, is there a folder named "madCollection\madExcept\BDS12"? It should be there if the installer detected your XE5 installation.
2) If the folder is not there, is there a registry key named "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\12.0"? It should be there if XE5 is installed.
0scar

Post by 0scar »

I'm the first that reported it ;)

Yes this is an official license, we have a subscription service with Embarcadero, running on a plain Dell laptop with Windows 7, SSD and i7, so not really special. It worked on my older laptop in XE3 and XE5. So strange that it does not work on this laptop.

There is no madCollection\madExcept\BDS12 folder, but I do have madCollection\madBasic\BDS12, madCollection\madDisAsm\BDS12, madCollection\madKernel\BDS12, madCollection\madSecurity\BDS12 and madCollection\madShell\BDS12. So the only BDS12 folder we need does not get installed. The other products do seem to recognise the XE5 install.

Is my key corrupt? When installing, the installer does display my company name, and the license we bought correctly.

edit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\12.0 does exist on my machine

edit2:
thanks for your promt replies, it is much appreciated
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Ah, sorry. I should have seen the problem right from the start:

madExcept 3 only supports up to XE2, IIRC. It doesn't support newer versions. You'll need madExcept 4 for that. I had read you were in the process of upgrading to madExcept 4 and then somehow thought we were talking about installing madExcept 4. Sorry for the confusion...
0scar

Post by 0scar »

Then I might mistakenly have used madExcept 4 in XE3 and XE5, my apologies for that.

I saw that the purchase department picked up my request, so (knowing their workflow speed) I should receive the key somewhere next month....
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

No problem. If it helps: if you're sure that the upgrade order will come through, I'm fine with you already installing and using the non-commercial madExcept 4 version right now.
0scar

Post by 0scar »

I never have used the product on commercial builds, only for testing internally.

The license will come through, thank you for the offer!