Suggestion: add a dictated 'Copy to clipboard' button

delphi package - automated exception handling
edwinyzh

Suggestion: add a dictated 'Copy to clipboard' button

Post by edwinyzh »

Hi,

I have a suggestion - add a dictated 'Copy to clipboard' button to the first maExcept dialog. I know we can use Ctrl + C, but it's far from obvious to the average users.

I hope you'll consider.

Anyways, is there a way to do that with the current build? Thanks.
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion: add a dictated 'Copy to clipboard' button

Post by madshi »

You can tell madExcept to automatically copy the bug report to the clipboard. See here:

http://help.madshi.net/madExceptSettings2.htm

I don't think a button is necessary. There are already so many buttons. Too many buttons might confuse the user...
edwinyzh

Post by edwinyzh »

madshi wrote:You can tell madExcept to automatically copy the bug report to the clipboard. See here:

http://help.madshi.net/madExceptSettings2.htm

I don't think a button is necessary. There are already so many buttons. Too many buttons might confuse the user...
I agree that too many buttons might confuse the end users, and actually I've disabled some of them.

Auto copying to clipboard should work in most cases. what way do you think is the best to tell the user about that?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I think most users are not really interested to look at the bug report at all, they just want to send it to you. So the clipboard functionality is usually more useful to us developers than end users. It would be more beneficial for the end user if you found a way to make bug report sending as reliable as possible, e.g. by using HTTP uploading, which is the most reliable method. If you do want the user to know that the bug report is in the clipboard, you could say that in the text of the exception box (see last tab of the madExcept settings dialog).
wpostma

Post by wpostma »

If anything there are already too many buttons.

We use only two buttons. SEND and CONTINUE.

Even so customers want the old [messagebox] + [OK] dialog box back at first. Really, users are such babies.