Compiling installed package

delphi package - automated exception handling
dnote

Compiling installed package

Post by dnote »

Hi,

I believe there is a problem with madexcept if you are compiling a package that is installed in the Delphi IDE. It seems madexcept fails to patch in the map file. I've checked this with a resource editor: if compiled while the package is installed, the map file is not inserted/updated, if compiled while the package is disabled, the map file is inserted properly.

BTW I'm using Delphi 7 build 8.1
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Well, the Delphi IDE tells madExcept when compilation in done. In that moment madExcept tries to patch the binary file. If the binary file is already in use again at that very moment, patching will fail. I think there's not much I can do there... :cry:
dnote

Post by dnote »

I looked into toolsapi too but could find any usefull hooks... Maybe a messagebox would be in place that informs the user that the package couldnt be patched?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'm wondering: in that situation madExcept is supposed to post a warning to the compiler warning window. Doesn't it do that?
dnote

Post by dnote »

Just checked: no warning is showing...
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thanks for letting me know! There was a bug in the later versions of madExcept which prevented all madExcept patching errors to be shown in the compiler message window!

This is fixed now in the latest build you can download here:

http://madshi.net/madCollectionBeta.exe (2.7c beta 16 / 2.1.2.17)
dnote

Post by dnote »

Hmm, but I am working with madexcept in a production environment with frequent releases, is it wise to use the Beta version for that?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Hmmmm... Difficult question. What happens if I say "yes" and then you run into problems? :(

Basically the beta build is very stable. Actually I'll planning to release this very build as the next official version "2.7c" on next monday. And I'm using this build in my own production software, too.

But well, you never know...