Exception not caught - BCB 11.3 / MapExcept 5.1.2

delphi package - automated exception handling
ebcom

Exception not caught - BCB 11.3 / MapExcept 5.1.2

Post by ebcom »

I have a BCB program with lots of components. Every once in a while, it raises an exception.
This special exception is not caught by MadExcept, although others are.
How can I track down this issue?
Attachments
maxExcept.png
maxExcept.png (14.25 KiB) Viewed 5605 times
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Exception not caught - BCB 11.3 / MapExcept 5.1.2

Post by madshi »

Good question, I'm not sure. It looks like a normal access violation, which should be caught and handled by madExcept just fine - unless the process is in such a bad state that madExcept can't work properly, anymore.

I assume you can't reproduce this exception?

One thing you could do is activate the active error search options, especially "instantly crash on buffer overrun" to check if maybe there's a buffer overrun in your code somewhere. This is something to do on your dev machine, not on the end user's machine. Unfortunately, the active error search options consume a lot of extra RAM, so there is a risk that your process might run out of memory when trying these madExcept features. But maybe you're lucky and they work, and might help you find some buffer overrun?

FYI, the "instantly crash" option will actually raise more exceptions. But these additional exceptions are important because they will point you directly to code which causes a buffer overrun (if you're lucky).