attached bugreport is sometimes an older one

delphi package - automated exception handling
Eelke

attached bugreport is sometimes an older one

Post by Eelke »

We just rolled out our first release containing madExcept and I notice that sometimes the attached bugreport.txt is an exact copy of a previous one. The attached screenshot is correct which is why I noticed the bugreport being old as the stacktrace could in no way match the screenshot.

This is with madExcept 4.0.10 in combination with C++ Builder 2006.
The bugreports are send automatically in the background through a php script on our webserver.
We do have a callback registered to adds some license details to the email body, adjust the subject and the from field. It doesn't touch the bugreport itself.

Any idea why this happens or how we can solve this?
madshi
Site Admin

Re: attached bugreport is sometimes an older one

Post by madshi »

I've heard about this problem before (it seems to be rare, though), but unfortunately nobody was able yet to reproduce it intentionally, or to give me enough information to find the cause of the problem.

Can you say whether this occurs always on the same end user PC? Or never on some other end user PCs? Or can the problem happen on the same PC and then the next time it works fine? Have you found any way to reproduce this on your development machine?
BarryStaes

Post by BarryStaes »

I believe that
- Every time a bugreport occurs it is appended to the file.
- When it is sent OK (i think?) it is removed from disk.

I often see a new bugreport appended to an older one. Most of times, i did not receive the older one but some times i did. This looks like a duplicate, but the newer bugreport got appended.
Its quite confusing and it made me always scroll to look and see if theres more. At first i was thinking it was a duplicate, but they never where.

But it is possible to receive duplicates by both automated sending and manually sending, i guess.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Well, I'd need to be able to reproduce the problem somehow, in order to fix this... :sorry:

One thing that might help a little bit is if you rename the bug report file from *.txt to *.mbr. Then opening the bug report should automatically open the madExcept Viewer which will automatically show all bug reports, not just the first one. That will make it much less likely that you miss a bug report attached to another one.
BarryStaes

Post by BarryStaes »

madshi wrote:Well, I'd need to be able to reproduce the problem somehow, in order to fix this...
Can you confirm what scenarios would cause multiple bugreports to be appended, or is this not supposed to happen at all?
I am under the impression that this is a feature that stashes bugreports until sent successfully.

And that only sometimes the exact same bug arrives in multiple: i think this is because subsequent exceptions cant delete bugreport.txt but do append afterwards.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Sorry for the late reply.

Multiple bug reports are saved if you configure madExcept accordingly. See "append bug reports" here:

http://help.madshi.net/madExceptSettings7.htm

If the very same bug report is detected, it's supposed to not be stored as a duplicate, instead the bug report header of the identical bug report in the file should get a "count" field added that increases every time the same bug occurred.