Competitor holds dev system hostage!

tell the world if you like my software :P
eblake

Competitor holds dev system hostage!

Post by eblake »

I've been evaluating madExcept and EurekaLog.

I discovered today that the latter (7.5.1.180beta1) holds my development system hostage and refuses to create executables unless EurekaLog is active! How incredibly arrogant, especially since I cannot get the simplest of test application to run properly with EurekaLog.

You can be sure that I uninstalled EurekaLog immediately, and you can look forward to an order for madExcept!
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Competitor holds dev system hostage!

Post by madshi »

Cool, thanks! :D

Not sure what's up with the EurekaLog behaviour you're describing. I can only guess it's some kind of bug.
eblake

Post by eblake »

Simple applications (I'm talking one-button applications) don't work - they always terminate with "Abnormal Termination" error with NO debugging information. This is likely a bug.

Holding the developer hostage is, however, with intent. There is a specific dialog that pops up saying that you cannot disable EurekaLog when it's in demo mode, and that only licenced installations can disable EurekaLog. In other words, if you are evaluating the product, your development system is prevented from building any production code (since executables compiled with demo EurekaLog have a 30-day expiry).
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Wow, that's really an "interesting" evaluation concept!

I mean I can understand that an evaluation/demo has some limitations, but not being allowed to disable it? Hmmm... :sceptic: