System Tray Refresh Service

just write whatever you want
iconic
Site Admin

System Tray Refresh Service

Post by iconic »

ReadMe.txt says it all... This is a service NOT a GUI program! It needs to be installed and the service needs to be started so please read the text file that accompanies this software. Supports Windows 2000 - Windows 7
SysTray Refresh Service v1.0
================================
(C)2009 Brock Williams
Torseq Technologies
bindshell@gmail.com
================================

Description: Removes "Dead" icons from the system tray toolbar. Dead icons are normally the result of a program killed abnormally/unexpectedly (e.g: Task Manager's "End Process" option) leaving it unable to clean up its own resources (in this case its systray icon).

Note: The service is preset to automatically start when Windows loads and only needs to be installed and started.

===============
Install & Start
===============
[1]Copy SysTrayRefresh.exe to System32 directory
[2]Start->Run "%SystemRoot%\system32\SysTrayRefresh.exe /INSTALL"
[3]Start->Run "services.msc" -> Click "OK" Right-Click "SysTray Refresh" click "Start"

================
Stop & Uninstall
================
[1]Start->Run "services.msc" Click "OK" Right-Click "SysTray Refresh" click "Stop"
[2]Start->Run "%SystemRoot%\System32\SysTrayRefresh.exe /UNINSTALL"
People might have noticed this happens with a lot of software, the only way to remove the "dead" icon at that point is to hover the mouse cursor over the icon and it disappears but I find that extremely annoying and feel that explorer.exe should refresh its own toolbar all by itself. Instead of moving the mouse cursor to the system tray and sweeping over it to accomplish this I've opted for a much more elegant yet undocumented solution which I gathered through my own research.

Download: http://bugczech.fu8.com/bin/SysTrayRefresh_Service.zip

--Iconic
wazer

Re: System Tray Refresh Service

Post by wazer »

Hello im the author of windows 7 quicklaunch classic for windows 7.

Can you provide the code for refreshing the explorer, without killing it?.

It would be much appricated. Thank you.
nat

Post by nat »

Hello Iconic,
very nice systray refresh service, it works perfectly, though only on win32 operating systems.
Do you also have such service for win64 OS, that would be great!!
Thank you in advance!

Nat
Sheffield

Post by Sheffield »

Hi,

that what im searching for! The link is dead, reupload somewhere please!!!
---
UPD.
Brock Williams gave new link http://www.bugczech.fu8.com/binX/SysTra ... ervice.zip
iconic
Site Admin

Post by iconic »

I will write a new 64-bit System Tray Refresh Tool... had no idea so many people would email me requesting it :D
--Iconic
Alep33

Post by Alep33 »

Could you please give a look to the solution used or a code snippet? Which windows API ?

Regards,
Olivier
iconic
Site Admin

Post by iconic »

I am getting a TON of x64 requests for this tool. Please give me time to update this as I am involved in a lot of projects at the moment. I literally have received 50 emails in the past 8 - 10 months, I understand that it's a useful tool and that a port to x64 is a must. I do have XE2 and plan to make this happen in the near future. Thanks

--Iconic