Problem with search results

just write whatever you want
ciuly

Problem with search results

Post by ciuly »

I did a small search trying to find something. I set to display results as posts and show full post not just a few characters from it. most of the results looked like:

Code: Select all

<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Thanks<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>! 

<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>unit<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Unit1<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>; 

<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>interface<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> 

<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>uses<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> 
<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Windows<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>, <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Messages<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>, <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>SysUtils<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>, <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Classes<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>, <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Graphics<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>, <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Controls<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>, <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Forms<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>, <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Dialogs<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>, 
<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>madExceptVcl<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>; 

<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>type<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> 
<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>TForm1<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> = <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>class<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>(<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>TForm<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>) 
<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>private<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> 
{ <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Private<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>declarations<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> } 
<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>public<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> 
{ <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>Public<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> <span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>declarations<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span> } 
<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>end<span style="color:#FFA34F"><b>b>span>;
which beside the problem of making the post close to impossible to read, on a big post this results in a huge result page :)

just thought to let you know ;)
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Just tried such a search myself and it seems to work fine for me. I guess you just had back luck?
ciuly

Post by ciuly »

unlikely. I tried on firefox and IE and both behave the same as my initial opera search.
open search (I used search.php )
input: stacktrace OR "stack trace" called unit in the first editbox
select display as posts, select return first 'all available"
click search.
all ie, ff and opera get the same result so I suspect you'll get the same thing. If not, I will put a screenshot somewhere :)
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Ok, I can reproduce that. But try the same search with only "stacktrace", then everything works fine. Maybe the forum software stumbles over the complicated "OR" search? No idea. And I don't know how to fix this. It's probably a bug in the forum software...
ciuly

Post by ciuly »

probable. I've seen such issues on IPB based forums (not sure of the version). however, the OR is not the issue. I think it's the "show all available". I made the exact same search but I selected to show only the first 100 chars and that worked fine. nothing is bug-free :)
hershel

Post by hershel »

Hi madshi,
may I know how did u solve this problem?
I have the exact same problem in my forum, when I input some terms or string in search field... i got those strange html codes between the searched word...! Hope you can help!
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I didn't do anything. It's a problem with the forum software and I'm not able to fix it... :?
hershel

Post by hershel »

Thanks for your reply madshi. I have found this forum from google, because I was looking for phpbb search related problems and I found only you and this post specifically which replicates the same for me :) anyway... it's okay... I guess we are forced to live with it :)
If in the future i will find any solution, I will let you know!