eac3to help

just write whatever you want
madshi
Site Admin

Re: eac3to help

Post by madshi »

I'm not there because I'm busy. fffmpeg isn't used for FLAC decoding nor for LPCM writing. So whether it's out of date or not has nothing to do with your problem. On my PC doing "eac3to input.flac output.lpcm" works just fine, not sure why it fails for you. I've no knowledge about the MP4 container, so I can't comment on that.
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Caveat is, I need to convert 5.1 Flac to 5.1 LPCM. May be this is the problem? If ffmpeg libavcodec isn't used, what do you use? I didn't install any extra codecs - may be this is the solution?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Converting 5.1 FLAC to 5.1 LPCM works fine here. No extra codecs are needed. FLAC decoding is done with libFlac.dll.
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Thanks for the reply. I double check, and there was a typo I made in file extension: lcpm :wink:

Yes, it converted very fast, but when I tried to play the resulting file on any soft player that supports LPCM playback like Daum PotPlayer or VLC, I got no playback with error messages "not recognized", etc. I tried latest FFPlay, and its gives "Invalid data found when processing input". FFMpeg -i gives the same error. So something is probably wrong with the file's header?

I tried to transcode resulting 5.1 LPCM to 5.1 ALAC using dbpowerAMP Converter, and it transcoded to 2-channel file that plays at very slow rate on PC Audio Players, meaning the source LPCM file was ID'd incorrectly. At the same time, I imported the LPCM file as Raw into Audacity and it plays correctly as 5.1, so obviously the header might be a problem, since Audacity probably ignores any headers in Raw. The same issue with resulting header error was mentioned here, so this is something only you can fix.

Also, what media info tool can decipher media info from multichannel LPCM file? I tried MediaInfo and Gspot with no success, possibly due to header error. May you suggest any soft player that works fine with 5.1 LPCM files transcoded from Flac with eac3to?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

LPCM output by eac3to does not contain any headers at all. It's just the raw PCM data in big endian form with the Blu-Ray channel order. Maybe you should transcode to WAV or to WAV64 or to some other format. I don't know why you wanted to transcode to LPCM in the first place. Anyway, as I said before, you should look for support in the doom9 forum. Obviously they can't help you if you have a typo in the eac3to command line you're using, while you don't have the typo in the command line you post when asking for help. That's really your fault, and not the fault of the supporting guys in the doom9 eac3to thread.
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

I never posted that question on Doom9, since new users must wait 5 days before posting. But I researched the issue on the web, finding NO answers whatsoever on transcoding to LPCM questions. The reason to transcode to LPCM was to stream 5.1 LPCM to my Samsung BD Player, since it doesn't support Flac playback or Wav, etc.

If transcoded by eac3to file does not contain any header, then the guy who posted on VideoHelp meant that was probably different from standard LPCM output? I did not post that remark either, he did from personal experience. But you didn't answer my above detail questions here (and they don't violate your forum rules), why none of soft players can play or recognize a multichannel LPCM file transcoded with eac3to from Flac?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

If you never asked on doom9, how could you say: "while they might be willing to help, they are incapable of helping on this particular issue"?

Sorry, topic closed.