eac3to help

just write whatever you want
x777ozon@gmail.com

eac3to help

Post by x777ozon@gmail.com »

Hello madshi.
You wrote amazing tool eac3to, but i have one thing that i want.

If i trascode my audio with this syntax:
eac3to in.dts out.dts -resampleTo44100
eac3to execs Surcode with output filename *.dts and Surcode code it like DTS Padden, but i need that Surcode must code output as DTS-WAV (*.wav out file).

Can you help me?

Best regardz from Russia.
p.s.
Sorry for bad english
madshi
Site Admin

Re: eac3to help

Post by madshi »

eac3to doesn't output DTS-Wav. You'll need to use a different tool to convert the DTS file to DTS-Wav. Don't know which other tool can do that. You may want to ask in the eac3to doom9 forum thread. Maybe someone there can help you.
x777ozon@gmail.com

hmmm... you don't understand. i'l try to tell:

1. I run eac3to with cmdline:

Code: Select all

eac3to.exe xin.dts xin2.dts -resampleto44100
2. eac3to make 6 WAV-files and after that eac3to lauch SurcodeDTS and give to Surcode this files and "xin2.dts" as output file.

But if output file for Surcode have extension *.dts Surcode trascode 6 wav files to 1 *.dts file with type "padded dts"
And if output file have extension "*.wav" Surcode trascode it to 6-channel *.wav with type DTS-WAV

And if i run eac3to with cmdline

eac3to.exe xin.dts xin2.wav -resampleto44100
eac3to convert input file in 1 stereo WAV.

And my question: can you make (build from patched sources) eac3to with changes, that i run

eac3to.exe xin.dts xin2.wav  -resampleto44100
eac3to will work like i run with output=xin2.dts.
i.e. i mean that i want that eac3to give to Transcode output filename with extension "*.wav"

thx
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

No, sorry. If you use "*.wav" as the output extension, the intuitive interpretation is that you really want wav and not dts-wav. Maybe adding support for using "*.dts-wav" would be an option, but to be honest, I don't have much time for eac3to development at the moment.

The easiest solution for you would be to let eac3to convert to "*.wavs". Then you can start Surcode yourself to do the encoding and you can pick "wav" as the Surcode output file format.
x777ozon@gmail.com

>>The easiest solution for you would be to let eac3to convert to "*.wavs".
more than 200 dts files :D

>>Maybe adding support
maybe add key like -resampleto48000 but -usedtswav tht will be add .wav postfix for output file and filename of output file while it send to Surcode will be out.dts.wav because surcode use intuitive interpretation of extensions too.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Well, that brings me back to using a different tool for dts -> dtswav conversion. If you can find a command line tool for that, you can convert your 200 files via batch processing. Sorry, no time for eac3to development at the moment.
x777ozon@gmail.com

madshi wrote:Well, that brings me back to using a different tool for dts -> dtswav conversion. If you can find a command line tool for that, you can convert your 200 files via batch processing. Sorry, no time for eac3to development at the moment.
and sourcecode is closed ?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Yes.
jcalcote

Post by jcalcote »

x777ozon@gmail.com wrote:
madshi wrote:Well, that brings me back to using a different tool for dts -> dtswav conversion. If you can find a command line tool for that, you can convert your 200 files via batch processing. Sorry, no time for eac3to development at the moment.
and sourcecode is closed ?
madshi wrote:Yes.
I wonder why? It's freeware, but there's very little (read "no") documentation for it, and it's a complex program. If it were open source, at least someone else would be able to look through the source code and figure out what it does, and then possibly write something up on a wiki page for everyone else. If you want to maintain control over development, just put it up on sourceforge.net or one of the dozen other great open source sites, then you could be the benevolent leader and allow others to work on it with you. People would contribute patches that you could then incorporate into the source base (after review and possible modification, of course). Or if you really don't have time to work on it anymore, you could allow one of your most active contributors to become an admin for you and act on your behalf. The open source world is great if you're not selling your program - everyone benefits, even you.

Ok - those are all the pros - there are cons also, of course: Someone could take your source base and use it as the starting point for their own project... Is that what you're worried about?

It seems like this black art of audio and video processing remains a black art because everyone involved in it keeps a tight reign on their secrets. Please - honestly, no offense is intended - if you have a good reason for not sharing the source code, I'd really love to hear it. I can be persuaded to change my opinion if I'm shown another way of looking at things.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I don't feel the need to justify my decision, or to try to change your opinion. I don't want to open source my projects, end of story. If you don't like that, that's your right, but I don't care much about that, sorry. But if you want to know the reasons for keeping my projects closed source, here there are just a few that pop into my head right now:

(1) There have been a lot of cases (especially in the home cinema world) where open source code has been "stolen" by closed source projects to create competeting software. If I open sourced my projects, there'd be a high danger that other products would appear, offering the same functionality under a different name, without respecting my rights or my license. Thus I would lose true ownership of my work.

(2) Maybe at some time in the future I might release special versions of my projects with some cool extra functionality for which I may take money. I've not ruled that possibility out yet.

(3) My motivation to work on my projects would me much lower if they were not completely "my babies", anymore, but if I would be just one of several developers.

(4) If I made these open source, and if there were actually more developers joining up, I'd have to spend a lot of time discussing with other developers over what to do and how to do it. I much prefer developing over discussing development. There's also a running joke in the programming world: If you increase the developer team from 1 to 2 developers, development speed is cut in half. Ok, this might be a pessimistic joke, but there's some truth to it.

(5) eac3to is written in Delphi, while most other open source projects are C++. So most open source developers would probably not feel comfortable in joining eac3to development, anyway. Or they might suggest converting eac3to to C++ first. Which would basically waste development resources for no good reason.

I don't really agree with your "black art" sentence. After all, libav/ffmpeg is open source and it can do most of what eac3to does, too. Thanks to libav/ffmpeg there are not really many secrets left in the home cinema world, which is a good thing. eac3to is not about secrets, it's about tying all the lose ends up and deliver a "complete" package of what's needed for comfortable Blu-Ray / home cinema audio conversion tasks.
jcalcote

Post by jcalcote »

Wow, I'm convinced. Thanks.

I'm still sad that there's no docs for it though - I've read what there is, and it's not enough. It gets me started, but doesn't show me the true potential. Guess I'll just have to keep playing with it and picking up a little here and a little there.

John
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

You can read the eac3to doom9 thread, but of course it's so long that it's hard to find information there. You can also check here:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use

Finally, eac3to is designed to let you do intuitively what you want. E.g. if you want to convert a wav file to flac you just do "eac3to some.wav some.flac". Often just trying intuitively works. Of course it helps if you have a bit experience with command line programs. Anyway, if you have questions, there are people in the doom9 eac3to thread which are willing to help.
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Hello Mathias,

I have a similar problem with eac3to - need converting 5.1 Flac to 5.1 LPCM to output to my Samsung BD player via LAN. I installed your latest eac3to package (which seems to contain very dated ffmpeg libs), and here we go:

eac3to input.flac output.lpcm

which results in immediate error message:

FLAC, 5.1 channels, 0:40:38, 16 bits, 2502kbps, 44.1kHz
This audio conversion is not supported. <ERROR>

What I'm doing wrong, and how to approach this task? Should I convert multichannel Flac into Multichannel LPCM packed into MP4 or MKV container instead, since my player seems to support playback of these containers via LAN, while multichannel LPCM may be restricted by DLNA Guidelines to Stereo? If yes, what the commands would look like?

If multichannel LPCM doesn't play, how I can convert 5.1 Flac to 5.1 Dolby TrueHD packed into MP4 container?

Don't you feel the need to update eac3to package with latest ffmpeg version? How I can do that?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Please use the doom9 forum thread for support. There are many people there willing to help, so I don't have to do all the support work.
zamar27

Post by zamar27 »

Thanks Mathias,

Yes, there are many people on Doom9, but you are not there, and while they might be willing to help, they are incapable of helping on this particular issue. In fact, I searched Doom9 intesively, and each and every question about Flac-to-LPCM multichannel conversion was left unresolved. The same is true for Videohelp forum. Besides, some of these questions only developer can answer, like, why you use grossly obsolete ffmpeg library, despite your 1st post on Doom9 forum was last modified in Feb. 2012?