Licence purchase problem

contains all delphi packages mentioned below
nasdaq

Licence purchase problem

Post by nasdaq »

Hi,
I work for a company that has a few Delphi apps written internally that support the business. I have suggested we use madExcept and submitted a request to have a site licence purchased, but the purchasing department says it costs too much to setup madshi.net as a supplier (this is a big corporate company, paperwork, red tape, impact analysis etc).
Can madCollection be purchased through other more well known software vendors?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Hello!

My shop provider is "ShareIt", which is a quite well known shareware vendor. Is that acceptable? Here's the price list with direct shop links:

http://madshi.net/madExceptShop.htm
http://madshi.net/madCollectionShop.htm

Thanks!
nasdaq

Post by nasdaq »

Hi Madshi!
Will ask them if ShareIt is acceptable, but probably not knowing this lot. :confused:
I'll try to convince my boss to buy it on his card and then claim it back, but the problem is with getting software authorized for use within the business, very frustraiting. :(
Im also struggling to get FastMM authorized... :o

Thanks
Nas
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

But FastMM is free! So where is the problem there? :shock:

Maybe you can instead ask for Delphi 2006 - that comes with FastMM4 integrated... :wink:
Markham

Post by Markham »

madshi wrote:But FastMM is free! So where is the problem there? :shock:
It's often much more difficult to get something that is free accepted by big corporates than something that is paid for. Historically, shareware (and freeware) authors have always had a hard time breaking into the corporate market due to the barriers imposed and things haven't been much better for the smaller commercial software houses. Fox Software, for example, found that it could only sell to individual developers (which it did with quite some success and posed a real threat to Ashton-Tate) until it sold itself to Microsoft.

Corporates need to know that their suppliers will be in business beyond the forseeable future and that the products will continue to be developed and supported. Some corporates will only deal with the smaller software houses if a copy of the source code is placed in escrow.
Maybe you can instead ask for Delphi 2006 - that comes with FastMM4 integrated... :wink:
Hmmm. I've done some tests and I've found that a Delphi 2006 test app which includes FastMM4 (in the project's uses clause) runs a bit faster than the same app which uses the default memory manager.

Mark
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Markham wrote:It's often much more difficult to get something that is free accepted by big corporates than something that is paid for. Historically, shareware (and freeware) authors have always had a hard time breaking into the corporate market due to the barriers imposed and things haven't been much better for the smaller commercial software houses. Fox Software, for example, found that it could only sell to individual developers (which it did with quite some success and posed a real threat to Ashton-Tate) until it sold itself to Microsoft.
Ah well... :?
Markham wrote:Hmmm. I've done some tests and I've found that a Delphi 2006 test app which includes FastMM4 (in the project's uses clause) runs a bit faster than the same app which uses the default memory manager.
That's strange! Maybe it has to do with the options? You know, FastMM4 has some debug capabilities. Depending on which options you set, it can be faster or slower. Whatever, I'm not really an expert with FastMM4. Maybe the FastMM4 versions released after Delphi 2006 got some speed increases somehow...
nasdaq

Post by nasdaq »

madshi wrote:But FastMM is free! So where is the problem there? :shock:
Yeah, tell me about it. :cry:
As Markham says, its can be very difficult to get software from smaller vendors accepted. But I will fight on! :lol:

Cheers
Nas
Markham

Post by Markham »

madshi wrote:That's strange! Maybe it has to do with the options? You know, FastMM4 has some debug capabilities. Depending on which options you set, it can be faster or slower.
Yes, I know. I set the options for performance thereby disabling all its debugging features.
Maybe the FastMM4 versions released after Delphi 2006 got some speed increases somehow...
I think it's entirely possible that Borland's version is based on code written before Delphi 2006 went into Beta since when there have been a number of enhancements and refinements. There's no indication of whether it is FastMM version 4-based or on an earlier release.

Mark
Markham

Post by Markham »

nasdaq wrote:its can be very difficult to get software from smaller vendors accepted. But I will fight on! :lol:
You may find it easier to get your company to accept products from smaller vendors that include the source code, such as madCollection, than those that do not.

Mark
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

It is definately FastMM4 based, I know that for a fact. It might not be the very latest build, though.