license question

contains all delphi packages mentioned below
pedroz

license question

Post by pedroz »

Hi,

I ordered a designed software for my company and it was working fine.
I bought it with source code from a professional programmer. Yesterday, I tried to change some information on source and compile it again but delphi 6 is giving me the error below:

[Fatal Error] File not found: 'C:\Program Files\madCollection\madShell\Delphi 6\madDisAsm.pas'

(I installed your software and I have also madDisAsm.dcu in the same folder of salaries.dpr)

I can not contact the programmer because he is on holidays. Meanwhile, I have few concepts on program language and I tried to compile myself without success. I searched on internet and it seems he used some source from your company because the source asks for:

uses
...., madDisAsm;

I would like to know if it is freeware or should I pay for it. I do not want to use fake software here in my company or source from you without paying.
Could you please explain how does your license works? If my programmer bought your license should I pay for it too?

Meanwhile, it would be helpful if you could help me to solve the problem above to compile the software with other strings names because it is quite urgent

Thank you very much.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

If your software is commercial (sounds like that to me) you do need a license if you want to use madDisAsm. I don't know whether the programmer you bought the software from has already bought a license. If he has and wants to keep it for himself, you do need your own license. If that programmer bought a license "for you", then he has to give it to you - and stop using it for himself.

Now about getting it to compile: Please don't copy mad*.dcu files anywhere. This only makes things more complicated. If you have installed madDisAsm on your PC, the DCUs are already in a path, which Delphi automatically finds.

If you still get that error messages, there can be 2 reasons for that:

(1) Either you're using an evaluation version of Delphi. Evaluation versions generally don't accept any precompiled 3rd party DCUs.

(2) Or your library path is too long. Delphi has a hard code limit of how long the library path may get. If it's too long, you'll get problems.
pedroz

Post by pedroz »

madshi wrote: (1) Either you're using an evaluation version of Delphi. Evaluation versions generally don't accept any precompiled 3rd party DCUs.
The software was developed on my company by an outsource programmer (my company bought a delphi 6 enterprise license) . I am using delphi 6 trial edition because I can not find the original cd to install delphi 6 enterprise edition and my be that is main the reason I can not compile the source.
I think we did not buy your license and I do not know if the programmer bought it (only at the end of the month I could know)

I would like to ask to following:

1. Which version did you use to compile .dcu file? Delphi 6 Enterprise edition? Works on Delphi 6 personal?

2. What should I do to buy you license?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I compile with D6 professional, but the DCUs work for all regular editions (professional, enterprice, architect, client/server, however they are called). I'm not sure about the Personal edition, though.

How to buy? First of all you need to find out what exactly you need to buy. I don't think madDisAsm is the only thing that the software uses. madDisAsm is usually used as part of another package.