Madexcept in project opensource (GPL)

contains all delphi packages mentioned below
El Salvador

Madexcept in project opensource (GPL)

Post by El Salvador »

Hello, I'm building an opensource software (GPL license). Can I use Madexcept in this software?

From GPL License:
10. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Program into other free programs whose distribution conditions are different, write to the author to ask for permission.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I've never fully understood the GPL yet. I thought a GPL software was not allowed to use non-GPL software parts. Am I wrong? Maybe...

What you may do is this: You may compile your free software with the non-commercial edition of madExcept and distribute the compiled binary that way. What you may not do is to redistribute the madExcept installer or sources or DCUs.

In your source code you could do this:

Code: Select all

program blabla;

// dontTouchUses  <- this tells madExcept to not touch the uses clause

uses
  {$ifdef madExcept}
  madExcept,
  madLinkDisAsm,
  {$endif}
  ...;
This way everybody can compile your source code - regardless of whether madExcept is installed or not. If it's not installed, your project will be compiled without madExcept. If madExcept is installed, your project will automatically be compiled with madExcept.

You'd need to distribute "yourProject.mes" together with the "yourProject.dpr" file. The "*.mes" file contains the madExcept settings of your project. Also you'd need to make sure that the "*.dof" file does not have the project wide "madExcept" conditional define set. Otherwise programmers which don't have madExcept installed will not be able to compile.
El Salvador

Post by El Salvador »

Thank you, Madshi. :wink: