RAD Studio 10.3 Support

contains all delphi packages mentioned below

Re: RAD Studio 10.3 Support

Postby AlexM33 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:26 am

madshi wrote:Please try the latest beta build:

http://madshi.net/madCollectionBeta.exe (installer 2.8.8.3)

If it still doesn't work, try copying madExcept32.dll into your project folder. Does that help?
Only copying madExcept32.dll into project folder does help.
AlexM33
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Re: RAD Studio 10.3 Support

Postby madshi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:31 am

Did you keep all files in their original file paths chosen by the installer? madExcept.pas tries to auto-locate madExcept32.dll by checking the following registry path:

HKLM\Software\madshi\madCollection\(Default)
HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\madshi\madCollection\(Default)

And then "\madExcept\Dlls\madExcept32.dll" is added to that path.
madshi
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9906
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:25 pm

Re: RAD Studio 10.3 Support

Postby AlexM33 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:00 pm

madshi wrote:Did you keep all files in their original file paths chosen by the installer? madExcept.pas tries to auto-locate madExcept32.dll by checking the following registry path:

HKLM\Software\madshi\madCollection\(Default)
HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\madshi\madCollection\(Default)

And then "\madExcept\Dlls\madExcept32.dll" is added to that path.
I have 64bit Win10 System ver 10.0.17134.407:
HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\madshi\madCollection\(Default) = "C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection"

and inside "C:\Program Files (x86)\madCollection\madExcept5\Dlls\" I have 2 files:
madExcept32.dll
madExcept64.dll

"Report resource leaks" doesn't work standard way.
But it works only after copying madExcept32.dll or madExcept64.dll into project folder

The strange thing as I wrote is that madExcept from madCollection ver 4.0.20 worked well on all PCs for Delphi XE2 and for Delphi 10.2.3 Tokyo
But after installing of Delphi 10.3 Rio and madCollection ver 5.0.0 madExcept stopped to show "Report resource leaks" as for Delphi Rio as for Delphi XE2 on all PCs.
And as I see it is impossible to be fixed even by reinstalling of Delphi.
At least you showed me the way how to see this report by copying dlls into project folder.
Nevertheless, our management is already considering the possibility using and therefore purchasing this product for use in the final builds for purpose of error peports.
But in the final builds there will be no need for a memory leaks report, because unfortunately there are small leaks in third-party components that we use.
AlexM33
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Re: RAD Studio 10.3 Support

Postby madshi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:14 pm

There's something wrong. The folder should be named "madExcept" and not "madExcept5". Please try uninstalling madCollection completely and then check if the installation folder is empty. If not, manually delete everything that's remaining. Also please cleanup your "temp" folder, because that's where the installer unzips to first. Maybe if there's still a "madExcept" folder in the "temp" folder, the installer doesn't manage to rename "madExcept5" to "madExcept", which it's supposed to do.

Then try installing once more. Does it work now?
madshi
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9906
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:25 pm

Re: RAD Studio 10.3 Support

Postby AlexM33 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am

madshi wrote:There's something wrong. The folder should be named "madExcept" and not "madExcept5". Please try uninstalling madCollection completely and then check if the installation folder is empty. If not, manually delete everything that's remaining. Also please cleanup your "temp" folder, because that's where the installer unzips to first. Maybe if there's still a "madExcept" folder in the "temp" folder, the installer doesn't manage to rename "madExcept5" to "madExcept", which it's supposed to do.

Then try installing once more. Does it work now?
Let see. I made some experiments and at least now it seems like I know how to do it.
1. Wrong way:
if uninstall previous madCollection (4.0.20) and immediately start to install new version of madCollection 5.0.0 then madExcept folder will have the name "madExcept5"
And even if you clean Temp directory between those actions it dosn't help.
But unfortunatelly I think that most of your clients do it this way.

2. Right way
a) Uninstall previous madCollection (4.0.20)
b) Restart PC(Windows)
c) Install new version of madCollection 5.0.0
After it madExcept folder will have the name "madExcept".
And I have been watching on Temp folder during this install and I saw that in one moment "madExcept5" folder has been created there for a moment and then immediatelly renamed to "madExcept".
AlexM33
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Re: RAD Studio 10.3 Support

Postby madshi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:58 am

In the last 10 years I only remember this specific problem (the folder was named "madExcept4" in the previous version or "madExcept3" before that) to be reported maybe 2-3 times. So it seems to be incredibly rare.

It's correct that the installer extracts to "madExcept5" first and then renames that folder to "madExcept". I don't know why this fails on your PC, if you don't reboot. Maybe your anti-virus software blocks the "madExcept5" folder for a little bit in order to scan it? That would seem the most likely explanation to me.
madshi
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9906
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:25 pm

Re: RAD Studio 10.3 Support

Postby AlexM33 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:19 am

madshi wrote:In the last 10 years I only remember this specific problem (the folder was named "madExcept4" in the previous version or "madExcept3" before that) to be reported maybe 2-3 times. So it seems to be incredibly rare.

It's correct that the installer extracts to "madExcept5" first and then renames that folder to "madExcept". I don't know why this fails on your PC, if you don't reboot. Maybe your anti-virus software blocks the "madExcept5" folder for a little bit in order to scan it? That would seem the most likely explanation to me.
We use Kaspersky for a long time on all our PCs.
But I never saw yet any similar problem with any other Delphi components or any other programms at all.
So I think at least you have to count on it. Especially if you already met this during switch from ver 3 to 4
Moreover it may not be the fault of the antivirus because 2nd way always works fine.
AlexM33
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Re: RAD Studio 10.3 Support

Postby madshi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:25 am

I don't think it has anything to do with a version switch. Out of 10 thousands of madExcept users in 10+ years of madExcept, I only remember one report of 1 customer, other than your report now. Maybe I forgot one user report, so that's why I said 2-3. This is the number of users ever reporting this issue. Not the number of versions having a problem. So it seems to be an incredibly rare problem. My best guess is that it's caused by a simple folder rename operation being blocked by either the OS or the anti-virus software.

I've already experienced anti-virus real-time protection blocking a signtool file signature myself. I've since stopped using anti-virus real-time protection on my PCs.

Maybe I could double check if the folder rename operation fails and try to repeat the renaming in a loop. But really, it seems weird that I'd have to work around some anti-virus software blocking my file operations. That should really not be necessary. Also, I don't know if it's just a timing issue, maybe renaming would succeed after a while. Or maybe the folder rename operation would continue to be blocked until the next reboot, for whatever weird reason...
madshi
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9906
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:25 pm

Re: RAD Studio 10.3 Support

Postby AlexM33 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:39 pm

madshi wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with a version switch. Out of 10 thousands of madExcept users in 10+ years of madExcept, I only remember one report of 1 customer, other than your report now...
I do not know, It is up to you.
Anyway I am grateful to you that by your help I found a way how to proper install madCollection 5.0 in my "rare" case.
So thanks for that.
AlexM33
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Previous

Return to madCollection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests