Source location Module, line, number and more?

contains all delphi packages mentioned below
hewy

Source location Module, line, number and more?

Post by hewy »

Hi there
Perhaps I expect something else from such a product. Therefore here some initial question.
We need to improve the error report we receive from our customer.
The solution shall provide
• Exact source code location where the exception occurred
• How the program got to that location. (call stack)
• Unit name
• Function name and line number
• The solution shall be linked into our application to avoid delivering additional files or DLLs
• Threads shall be handled to
Does madExcept provide the needed functionality for these requirements?
Do you have any samples showing how all this can be realized?
Most probably all this could be answered by reading the documentation, however without knowing the product this task looks like to be very time consuming, therefore I hope to get this answered here by someone who already has sufficient knowledge of madExcept.

Thanks
Henry
madshi
Site Admin

Re: Source location Module, line, number and more?

Post by madshi »

Yes, madExcept does all this. All you need to do is:

(1) Install madExcept.
(2) In the Delphi project menu enter the madExcept settings dialog, then enable madExcept.
(3) Compile

Done. Now all *unhandled* exceptions should be caught by madExcept. Instead of the simple Delphi message boxes you should now get a proper crash box with callstack etc information.
hewy

Post by hewy »

Hi
Thanks for the hints.
I created a small sample application and made my own exceptionhandler as you suggested in another thread.
In our project we would deploy this to our customers. As I can see the trace works only if the madExcept32.dll is available.

Is there a possibility to run madExcept reporting without that DLL?
Or do we get the source of the DLL if we purchase madExcept license for commercial use, so we could link it into our executable?

Thanks
Henry
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

The madExcept32.dll is only needed for the "active error search" options listed in the first page of the madExcept settings dialog. Those options are only intended to be used on your development PC. If you disable those options, the madExcept32.dll is no longer needed. Actually, you can enable those options and then simply *not* distribute the madExcept32.dll to your customers. As a result your exe will still run fine with all of madExcept's functionality. Only the active error search options will be automatically disabled if the madExcept32.dll can't be found.

All of madExcept is fully linked into your exe. You don't have to distribute any other files. The only exception is the "active error search" functionality, as explained above.