Windows XP SP2 and the madHelp

contains all delphi packages mentioned below
mj

Windows XP SP2 and the madHelp

Post by mj »

Hi,

You probably know already, but I can't find it in the forums, that Windows XP SP2 introduces pop-up blocking, and when opening the help files it causes a constant update flicker as IE doesn't allow the file to use the active content. This in itself is not a problem, but the failure causes another update which then loops around rapidly, which stops the information bar appearing quickly and enabling me to actually allow the active content and thus have it work normally.

I've not looked at the HTML at all, but a delay of a second between retries would allow the page to operate nicely. Alternatively, you can test the failure and show information using code from the MS web site.

Just a thought.

Matthew
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Strange. Well, I'm using Firefox (which also has a built in popup blocker) and have no problems here. Guess I'll have to test it with IE under XP SP2...
JohnStevenson

Post by JohnStevenson »

I'm having a similar problem accessing the Help files using IE with XP2. This only happens when loading the package Contents and Subject htm files from the Package\Help directory, ie outside the Package\Help\Data directory.

I think the probelm is reloading the pages from the Data directory.

A quick look at the HTML shows that the header line in madBasic.htm:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL="Data/madBasic.htm">
causes the continuous loop, while the Javascript:
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
window.location.replace("Data/madBasic.htm");
//-->
</script>
causes the content blocking.

So the solution is to either use the Content and Subject htm files from within the Package\Help\Data directory (fiddly), or to replace the offending files outside of this directory with shortcuts to those in it - initially time-consuming, but the quicker option in the long term.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thanks, I really need to look into this.
JohnStevenson

Post by JohnStevenson »

Since I have your libraries on 2 work-stations and a laptop, I've written a small app that resolves this problem. It creates links to the relevant htm files in the madBasic\Help\Data directory, then deletes the offending files.

I have taken the liberty of emailing the project to you, at the address on your home page.

Hope it may be of use.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thanks.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

A new beta build is up, which should fix the problems:

http://madshi.net/madCollectionBeta.exe