Madshi collection for Kylix 3 ?

contains all delphi packages mentioned below
taymans

Madshi collection for Kylix 3 ?

Post by taymans »

Is there a Madshi collection version for Kylix ?
This would be wonderful !
If not, is there a plan to have some in the future ?
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

I'm sorry to say, but there is no such version and currently I don't really have plans for that, either. The reasons are:

(1) So many other things to do.
(2) I don't know Linux at all, I know even less about how to program system level stuff in Linux.
(3) Generally Linux people look for free or GPL stuff. So not much money to earn there, I guess.

:sorry:
taymans

Post by taymans »

I understand your point of view.

But this can be a good challenge for you and excellent for the Delphi/Kylix lovers community !

Windows is something, Linux is ... much more.
The Linux architecture and philosophy is very far and much better than the Microsoft ones. I have worked with Windows for many years, but also - less unfortunately do to my duties - with Unix (AIX, Linux) and I can assure you that there is a lot of satisfaction learning Linux.
As it is so simple and no tricly, the learning curve will go up very rapidly !

On the other hand, it is not true that everything on Linux is for free and that Linux users only look for free stuff. Kylix is not...
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Kylix is not free and what I heard Borland has a hard time selling it... :(

But the main point is that I simply don't have enough time for Linux right now.
taymans

Post by taymans »

Normal about selling something on Linux, because the marketing power is obviously not present. But they are exception, like firms like IBM.
I have honestly to say that today I don't have a lot of time myself to make some investigation in such development on Kylix equivalent to, for example, your excellent madException that I use with Delphi.
But I am interested in figure out the price (time to spend) to transport it to Linux.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

The time would be quite big. madExcept is not your every day component collection (containing some buttons or such stuff). It's very much tailored to the lowest levels of system programming, using lots of undocumented win32 APIs. So you need to be an expert in lowest level system programming in Linux to be able to transport madCollection to Linux.