Freeze detection 64bit

contains all delphi packages mentioned below

Freeze detection 64bit

Postby SSchaefer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:07 pm

I have noticed multiple times that the freeze detection (including MadTraceProcess) will sometimes not show the main thread for 64bit builds.
The callstacks of all other threads are shown (I think), but the main thread (the one that is actually frozen) is not contained. Is this maybe a known issue?
Attachments
freeze.jpg
freeze.jpg (13.33 KiB) Viewed 693 times
SSchaefer

Re: Freeze detection 64bit

Postby madshi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Not that I'm aware of. Are you sure the main thread still "exists"? It could be crashed and then gone, which would also explain the detected freeze. Windows doesn't stop a process just because the main thread is done. Actually, Windows doesn't even know the concept of a "main" thread. There are just a bunch of threads. And as long as any thread is still running, and nobody calls ExitProcess(), the process lives on.

P.S: Of course if the main thread actually crashes, madExcept should have reported that, though. So maybe not that likely a scenario? I'm not sure...
madshi
Site Admin

Postby obl918 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:09 pm

For what it's worth, I have seen this, too. I have a user who uploaded 5 bug reports with no main thread and they were all freeze detection. What's more, she was able to continue using the application without any problems -- except that when the freeze detection interval elapsed, she would get another prompt to upload a bug report.
obl918

Postby madshi » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 am

That sounds so weird! I assume it's a VCL (GUI) application? So even though freeze detection complained and the bug reports contained no main thread, all the VCL forms still continued to work fine?
madshi
Site Admin

Return to madCollection