madCollection vs Eurekalog

contains all delphi packages mentioned below
KevinX3

madCollection vs Eurekalog

Post by KevinX3 »

Pardon my ignorance, but I have searched and could only find a post of some 4 years ago where Eurekalog and madCollection are compared. Whilst I have seen a deal of (publicity) material WRT Eurekalog, your software flies literally under the radar and uses essentially word of mouth to get around. I'm not sure how you'd get the word out, on facebook madshi simply gets a lot of unrelated people and madcollection gets a clothing and jewellery line. Just sayin'.....

I'd appreciate a comparison between Eurekalog and madCollection, I'm happy to take your bias, I've seen the product and it just works. I've tried Eurekalog and it seems overly complicated, not trying to bash it, just my experience. Please don't waste your time doing the research, if you can point me to a comparison review and/or you believe the comparison of 2014 in this forum still stands, I'm happy to accept that.

So from a practical POV, I would take it to have both is installed and enabled is a complete waste of resources, ie. both purport to do the same thing, one often better than the other, and that there is even the possibility of some conflict?

Is that a generally correct statement?

I have the Eurekalog trial installed, but I'm thinking that's just not a good idea with madCollection installed?

Thanks and sorry for the newbie type question.

Kevin
madshi
Site Admin

Re: madCollection vs Eurekalog

Post by madshi »

You're right that I'm mostly relying on word of mouth. Maybe I should try to fly over the radar for once. Do you have good ideas where/how I should do that?

It's been a while that I directly compared madExcept vs EurekaLog myself. I do regularly get devs who change over from EurekaLog to madExcept. Usually they say madExcept "just works" while EurekaLog sometimes can be a bit unstable. But that's just what those users were telling me. Can't judge it myself.

Generally, both madExcept and EurekaLog do mostly the same things. Having both *installed* at the same time is not a problem. Having both activated at the same time is not useful. In the best case scenario one will dominate the other. In the worst case scenario both will try to hook the same thing and the hooks could collide and result in instability.

There are a number of differences, of course. E.g. both the settings dialogs and the end user dialogs look different. The prices are different. Mine is even free - but only for non-commercial use. I believe madExcept is a lot faster during compile time (at least that was the case last time I checked). Basically madExcept is so fast at compile time that you don't even know it's there. I believe madExcept has a much more complete leak reporting functionality, and a helpful "instantly crash" feature to detect buffer overruns. The key priority for me is stability. I haven't really had any trouble in that area for years.

I'm not aware of an up-to-date comparison review anywhere, unfortunately.
KevinX3

Post by KevinX3 »

@madshi

Firstly thank you for your response, I don't want to seem a troll with questions that suck the oxygen out of the air for no real result, but I was looking at both Eurekalog and madCollection.
madshi wrote:You're right that I'm mostly relying on word of mouth. Maybe I should try to fly over the radar for once. Do you have good ideas where/how I should do that?
I'm no marketing guru, influencer etc and have a minimal FaceBook footprint just so I can access Facebook, but it seems to me that a FaceBook page would be a good start. Secondly trying to get the Embarcadero guys to review the software and thirdly I'd try and get it into the getit package manager so that anyone that installs Delphi will have access to it directly. Currently there are only 2 IDE plugins and 167 Trial software (a total of about 306 packages) in getit. I cannot be sure, but I don't think Embarcadero charge to be included, for example the JEDI packages are there. So for minimal cost you get exposure to the correct cohort group. Just a thought.
madshi wrote:Generally, both madExcept and EurekaLog do mostly the same things. Having both *installed* at the same time is not a problem. Having both activated at the same time is not useful. In the best case scenario one will dominate the other. In the worst case scenario both will try to hook the same thing and the hooks could collide and result in instability.
That's exactly the sort of response I was after.
madshi wrote:There are a number of differences, of course. E.g. both the settings dialogs and the end user dialogs look different. The prices are different. Mine is even free - but only for non-commercial use. I believe madExcept is a lot faster during compile time (at least that was the case last time I checked). Basically madExcept is so fast at compile time that you don't even know it's there. I believe madExcept has a much more complete leak reporting functionality, and a helpful "instantly crash" feature to detect buffer overruns. The key priority for me is stability. I haven't really had any trouble in that area for years.
Whilst I understand there is some bias here, regardless I accept what you say based on my (limited) experience especially with ease of use and speed. I think you have an excellent product. The installation just happened, the units are built in without fuss and the reporting is excellent. And as noted, Eurekalog now gone. I'm happy to pay for the product once I use it commercially. That's a while off yet, butI have no qualms paying for something that is certainly a worthwhile product.
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thanks!

Getting madExcept into getit is already on my to do list. Not sure if I want to do Facebook, I've not ever done any social media stuff yet, not for my products nor for me personally, but I'll think about it, thanks for the suggestion. So when you said you've seen a deal of publicity material WRT Eurekalog, is getit and Facebook the main things you meant?

Do the Embarcadero guys actually publish reviews of 3rd party components? I don't think I've seen that yet, but maybe I haven't looked at the right place?
KevinX3

Post by KevinX3 »

madshi wrote:So when you said you've seen a deal of publicity material WRT Eurekalog, is getit and Facebook the main things you meant?
I guess so yes, it just seems that Eurekalog is more prominent, maybe that's just me.
madshi wrote:Do the Embarcadero guys actually publish reviews of 3rd party components? I don't think I've seen that yet, but maybe I haven't looked at the right place?
This is the sort of stuff I find, Embarcadero actually promoting products (that's with just a quick search):

And on Marco Cantu's blog (pervasive advertising), I know it's a couple of years ago, but it's what I could quickly find:

Third Party
EurekaLog 7.4 released, http://eurekalog.blogspot.it/2016/01/eurekalog-7-4.html

Interesting NFC library for Android, at http://www.winsoftxe.com/anfclib.htm
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thank you! :)
ccr

Post by ccr »

this is such a great software package! quality functions all over the place.
i would definitely pay for it to have this in the .net stack.
the memory leak reporting consumes universes less in time and memory than fast-mm.

i am also amazed about the product advertisment - but with 3 millions of delphi developers around there is a potentially big customer base - even with only spreading the word :)

i wish i'd have some use cases for madCodeHook too ...
honestly: one of the best investments in 3rd party tools
madshi
Site Admin

Post by madshi »

Thanks! :blush:
Uwe Raabe

Post by Uwe Raabe »

It might be worth considering to make some announcements about madExcept in the English Delphi-PRAXiS forum under Delphi Third-Party: https://en.delphipraxis.net/forum/13-de ... ird-party/. Although advertising is not welcome, announcing new versions describing fixes and features is usually allowed. Given that madExcept is also free for non-commercial use, I see no problem with that anyway.

I wouldn't even object to have some sort of discussion over there as I visit that place way more often than this forum.